Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The last snow post

for now :)

Here is my beloved Green Man fountain in the snow.

I have always been drawn to the symbolism of the Green Man. I have a small collection of them. I try not to tell that to too many people, because, yeah, because of what happened with the......the many, many.....frogs.

One insane collection is enough for the red head girl.
Traveling in the UK I have taken several Green Man pictures from different churches. They are commonly found outside of churches, a bit of a bridge from the pagan to Christian. One of the first things I do when we visit a church is look for the Green Man.

Most of my pictures are too fuzzy or very hard to make out, so I won't bore you with them.

Of course, the famous Green Man from Roslin Chapel (thanks Mr. Brown, quite little chapel now has a gift shop larger than the chapel :)

I believe husband took this one...that is why it is not a blurry blob.








One of my favorites is the Green Man from the deconsecrated church outside of Darsie Castle. (St. Mary's Church ) I remember it so well because it was just on the left side of the church by the front doors. They usually hide them in a corner somewhere.
Wish I could find the photo. I probably got disgusted with my terrible photo skills and deleted it :(
Then it is not a big suprise that one of my favorite XTC songs is "Green Man" - it is perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive