Thursday, February 25, 2010

One of my best thrift store

finds made even better by Toph!

I could not believe my luck when I walked into my local thrift store and found this old church bulletin board. A cork board with a little cross carved in the top....and I turn my garage/shop into a church each October and this would be a perfect party decoration...even as is.

Then the immensely talented Toph got a hold of it and made it perfection.

Of course, I would have painted it black, but leave it to any of the guys to find any excuse to use fire! :D (Can't say I blame him!) He took a blow torch to it to scorch it black and make all the finish peel off! Oh, it is a thing of beauty. And they he removed the cork board and replaced with latex "skin" and then made some cool writing on paper that was aged and stained with blood*.

Instead of thumb tacks, we found cool looking old small nails.

This stays up in the shop most of the year, we will take it down about April to replace it with the large dry erase to board (our project/shopping list). But for now it is on the wall of the shop making me smile each time I pass by!

Thanks Toph!

*Pretty sure it is fake blood or ink...but I don't know that for a fact, I learned with Toph it is best not to ask :) - Could be though....if I remember right, last year Dan went out of his way to make sure that there was plenty of blood offered to the Halloween gods! :D

9 comments:

  1. Boys and blowtorches... scary indeed! Very spooky "skin" on there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is just pure genius! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live with him and I couldn't even tell you if it was blood or ink. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. heh. Thanks, luv-
    it was a fun mini-project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've said it before . . . I need to find cooler friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I love the new additions, great new ornament Froggie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do have to state for the record, that it was never my intention to make a blood sacrifice to the Halloween spirits...let alone the "multiple" sacrifices.

    I do have to admit, we had a large number of new props that probably needed the extra life force to really come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Daniel - you crack me up!

    And, I was not saying that I was ungrateful for your sacrafices :)

    And I see you point, I can only imagine what would have happened if you did help us out! :)

    As always, much thanks to the fantatsic graveyard crew!!! I love you guys!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive