Friday, June 27, 2008

Can I has a (vegetarian) cheeseburger?

Husband is right, I am obsessed with

icanhascheezburger

(If you don't get the captions, it helps if you check out lolspeak)

It is a website that has cat pictures with humors captions contributed by visitors. Why am I so obsessed? It's fucking funny! I love cats, and Funny * There are hundreds (likely) thousands of pictures out there......yeah, I should be doing something else!

How do you get obsessed with something?

Hummmm, well for me it has always been a problem. I tend to get that way, I am definitely a "fan"atic type person. If I like something I(used to) collect as much of it as possible (budget allowing). In the 80's it was Kate Bush** stuff - I have boxes (many boxes) of CDs, vinyl in many sizes(for you youngins' they are those large wax disc that your club music comes on), posters, fanzines*, press releases, books, CD singles, collectors CD singles. magazine articles, newspaper articles, videos (NTSC and PAL)***, laser discs, and DVDs. I did say boxes didn't I? :) ****

I did the same thing with Marillion/Fish, XTC*****, all the Finn Brother's incarnations (Split Enz, Crowded House, ALT, etc.) Toad the Wet Sprocket (and the pieces that they broke into), Tori Amos, Human Drama and The Cure. Imagine even more boxes!

And most of this was before the internet was popular, that's right I am talking Record Collector magazine, ads with hundreds of items in 6 point type and no PayPal - just money orders!!! Just showing my dedication to my cause ;)

Then we have my concert t-shirts, comic books, Nightmare Before Christmas, Clive Barker, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman related collections******! The comics are in boxes, but the rest is in the library - I ran out of boxes.

I decided a few years ago that: more is just that, more.

So these days I am unloading many of my collections. If it is not useful or means something to me. It goes in the eBay pile - and some of it has actually been on eBay, although from the pile in the basement I know you would find that hard to believe. Do you know how much a mint pink vinyl copy of Under the Pink is worth these days??!? I was surprised too!

As a rule - all bets are off when it comes to books - so Clive, Terry and Neil are safe; I am keeping them. (In a jar with holes in the top :)

Imagine Jeff's (initial) happiness when I got obsessed with a website. No boxes or eBay purchases! Just a lot of insane laughing coming from the office.

Some of my favorites at the moment:

Humorous Pictures

cat pictures
funny pictures
more cat pictures

funny pictures
more cat pictures

Husband is now a bit tired (understatement) of hearing my comments on the funny thing I saw on the site or how something reminds me of what I saw on the site......if I thought he was tuning me out before, I know he is now.

* Funny is a noun in the Frog Queen's English.

**Since almost no one in the US has even heard of her, they had to be imported from the UK - back before PayPal - I had to get money order in foreign currency, get IRC coupons (don't know what they are, don't worry about it), go down to the post office, fill out the paperwork for foreign mail, and wait in line to send it. You really had to be a fan to do this....every year.

*** I had to invest in a PAL video player too! The expenses never end!

*** *In '93 I was lucky be that I was actually in the UK when the Red Shoes came out and I got to see full window displays in all the music shops (almost made me cry it was so beautiful!), I got to collect all the stuff that the stores were handing out (and actually hear a Kate song on the radio, while it was on the charts - playing RUTH as a classic on stations now, does not count.)

*****Remember everyone "Andy Partridge is a god."


****** Not to mention the collections that I don't like to admit to, like Hercules and Andromeda (I am a sucker for a guy with long hair that is half naked (all naked works too!)- so for Hercules it is Kevin, for Andromeda, it started as Kevin, but then I saw Keith! Oh lordy! (Looks like the letter "K" might have something to do with it. ;) In defense, both shows have the funniest outtakes!

Footnotes? Big nod to Terry Pratchett :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive