Friday, July 8, 2011

Proof of insanity

It has begun, we are replacing the existing church facade with a free standing ruined abbey - inspired by the abbey ruins at Holyrood in Edinburgh.


I say "inspired" not copied....it would be impossible for us to create that much detail in one year.  Basically we are building the four walls that will have arches and details added and additional details each year.  We will likely spend time this year on the front and the right hand side - the ones that will be most visible.

I will be taking more pictures this weekend.  I will try to get them on the blog....if you want instant updates - you can follow me on Facebook.*






Right hand side panel - one of four.  This is two eight foot tall panels veritical to make a  wide arch, then one 8 foot panel horizontal across the top with the windows carved out.  The walls on the RH side will be 12 feet tall.

Each frame is made individually based on the finished panel

Set up of the first story so we can draw the grout lines for carving

View from the back to show the panels on the first story connected so we can draw the grout and stone lines.  Notice that the frames are different for each panel depending on what opens there are.

You can see the black lines where the grout lines will be cut out.  We are doing a force perspective design - the stones at the bottom are larger and they get smaller as we go up.

View of the first story from the street.
* warning about following me on FB - I have more than just the LOLcat obsession...there is Portal, Firefly, anything that has to do with Nathan Fillion, and lots of other nerdy stuff.

9 comments:

  1. Oh I cannot wait to see how it develops and of course the end results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Your level of creativity and enthusiasm astounds me. ASTOUNDS! I would feel so overwhelmed even thinking of taking on anything like that. To me that looks like quite the project. Yet, you make it look so darn easy! (Well, not easy. But not overwhelming.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see how it looks when it is done. I really wish I lived close enough to actually see your work this Halloween. I was going to try to copy some of your easier pieces, but got when I saw what really went into them I gave up. It is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suddenly I'm embarrassed by the small size of my to-do list for this Halloween... I can't wait to see the finished Abbey. That thing is going to be crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh like we needed proof! We already knew you were insane - but in a good way!

    Looks like you're making excellent progress. Very exciting to see the in progress pics.

    Haunt on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god. I apologise profusely for not noticing this, but I thought you were just re-doing the facade to look like the front of a ruined ab bey. I didn't know it was a structure going all the way up the path. You really are f***ing nuts. It's great, and I really cannot wait to see how it turns out! :D SO EXCITED!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that Abbey you are using for inspiration is fantastic! Can't wait to see your handywork!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's exciting to see it starting to take shape outdoors. Shame about the washers. I think it's catching (running out of the one little thing you need to work on a project). I've hit that roadblock twice this week.

    Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So when will you be finishing my Abbey Facade? I need it delivered beofre the 31st! Haha..JK...Looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive