Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hours and hours

of scroll saw work on then hours of sanding with a dremel and we are getting closer to the finished luminary.  Here it is with the scroll pieces attached to the front and sides.
I designed the pattern in Illustrator printed it out and glued it with Super 77 (love that stuff) to 1/4 inch Luan and it was cut with a both a scroll saw and the new Dremel scroll saw (husband got to buy a new toy!). 
We realized that it was pretty thin and delicate so husband cut some 1/2 in pieces to fit and routered down the center to fit the scroll pieces in.  Glued them and stapled them to the legs.
I then took black spray paint and painted them inside and out. 

The green tape bits are cover the flicker LEDs and circuit boards.  We are using EFX-TEKs wickLED system for this piece.  I agree with them that their three LED system with the circuit board on each light gives a more realistic light than those battery operated tea lites.

Looks fantastic.  We tested it with a few of the votives on it.  It is
 in my workshop ready for me to glue the 48 plastic votive cups and and candles to it.

I am scaring myself a little bit making something so "church" like for the graveyard...actually the abbey. :D

7 comments:

  1. Oh man, that looks so beautiful. Gah, I wish I had psychic powers so I could steal your creative genius. Grr.

    By the way, I wanted to let you know that included you in my list of favorite blogs. Keep up all the awesome work. :)

    http://thehalloweenblues.blogspot.com/2010/08/best-week-ever.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful about making it look "too" realistic. You'll come out of the house one night and find Catholics praying in front of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOOOOOO not the catholics...do you know how long it has taken me to recover from catholic school?!?! :D

    Maybe if I put a demon skull next to it :D

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is looking quite amazing.

    Can't wait to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive