Saturday, March 27, 2010

This could just possibly

be the best link I have ever found.

There is a Mausolea & Monuments Trust in the UK!!!!

Some of you look confused :)

There is a trust that registers all the monuments and mausoleums in the UK and Ireland....and they have pictures and backgrounds of all most all of them!!!! All different types and conditions from almost new to ruins!! Talk about inspiration!

I should be sleeping....but I have spent the last few hours looking at pictures. Not only do they have picture, a full history on most of them, some quite noteworthy, some sad...my favorite story so far is the man that build his own outside the church yard, whitewashed it when he was alive, but when he died the vicar was so upset that it was outside the church yard that no one else could be buried there. The is another that is in the middle of of a golf course :D


Warning, you might want to stay away from this site.....very addicting :)

Here are some of my favorites:

Beard - lovely, I admire the high pitched roof













Butterfield - quite grand


















Clarke - Simple with two tombs inside. Beautiful!







Delaval - Because the owner could not get permission to from the Bishop to use it as a mausoleum, he converted it into a house....it has since been abandoned.

Malcolmson - amazing Gothic Mausoleum in London. (I want one of these in the yard!)














Okay now...I gotta go to sleep. More to follow. :)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. I love mausoleums. Rather be in one of those than a grave, after I've passed on. A big one, where you can in and sit down! Maybe read and enjoy the shade.

    My shade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Thanx for sharing! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun link...thought I'd just quickly peruse through and go back later and spend more time...ha! still here an hour later! anyway, thanks...gonna' enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG those photos are fabulous. No wonder it kept you awake!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where on earth do you keep finding these neat things? I'd love to see your search list! lol

    You are right, as usual, (you can remind hubby that I said that whenever you need it, lol) this is a wonderful site! Wow! The diversity of the architecture, and the history! It is almost mind boggling.

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so honored that you have featured me and my little beaded girl avatar on your blog, thank you so much! Thanks also for all the kind words and encouragement you leave when you visit me.

    Checking out your blog is like Trick or Treating at Halloween, you never know what you are going to get but it is always an exciting treat! My hubby would love a mausoleum on a golf course

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive