Thursday, January 6, 2011

Only two medieval churches

in Scotland survived the Reformation. 

One of them is St. Mungo in Glasgow. (The other being St. Magnus in Orkney.)

Now I do love old churches, especially medieval ones, because there are very few that are not ruins (once again....thanks Henry) so I really wanted to see this one cause there is almost no chance of making it to the Orkney islands in November (very, very far north and mostly closed for the winter.) 

But that is not the main reason I went there....although these are pretty impressive.....still not the reason. :)

St Mungo Cathedral

from a monument in the church cemetery


above the doorway on the side entrance








Parts of the original church from the 11th century

Door to the blackadder

ceiling accent with skull in the blackadder


As impressive as all that is.  This....this is why I went to this particular church.  This cemetery is called The Necropolis. It is up on a hill overlooking the city!!!

 Oh hell ya, that had "frog queen" written all over it :D



7 comments:

  1. O Great Frog Queen, I need your advice: what is a blackadder? Of course I know and love the Blackadder TV series with Rowan Atkinson but I didn't know that a blackadder is some kind of room in a church? Something to do with a mortuary perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used up a whole roll of film on the Necropolis when I was there years ago. It remains my favourite graveyard of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "roll of film"...hum....must have been a long time ago....

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol yes. It was actually *cough* 14 years ago. *sigh* I am an old woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous images, just beautiful! Love the cemetery as well.
    But I am also baffled at the reference to a blackadder -- I can't find any reference to a section of a church or cathedral called blackadder in any of my books on medieval architecture (or Middle Ages churches) other than the name of a famous church in North Berwick. I wonder what part of the church it is? LOVE learning something new! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these pics! Wait...wasn't St. Mungo's the name of an infirmary in the Harry Potter books...trying to remember... This church is too cool though - and love all the skelli architectural bits. And that cemetary...the Necropolis...brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive